Wednesday, January 13, 2010

first steps

My first step to becoming what I want to become is really one stumbling accident after another. I tend to see life in modes of epics. If all of life is a story, I look for the patterns and signs that foreshadow an inevitable success or failure of my endeavors or those of others. I tend to see a lot of tragedies because people, myself included, make many mistakes and continue in error after error. It takes a huge jolt to jump out of the sad cycle one has dug oneself into. My journey however, takes so many holds that I find myself without a choice now but to finally move forward.
This journey begins, coincidentally with a move. Due to events outside of myself really, I move to this southern desert of California. I wear tank tops and sweat on morning mountain walks in the middle of January. I walk the dusty trails and think of the tasks before me and my characters. I believe as I develop they must as well. With each step I take up that hill, with each rock I trip over, and each dusty dry branch I break beneath my steps, I constantly find my characters stranded and walking that upward journey as I do now.

1 comment:

  1. The best characters are the ones that journey that mountain path.

    ReplyDelete